All entries (in both categories) must be relevant to the topic of disabilities, special needs, or your interpretation of what life without limits means to you personally. If you are not sure where to start, you might want to consider these questions:
- Do you or does someone you know have a special need (physical, intellectual, developmental, age-related)? How would you express what constitutes life without limits for you or for that individual?
- Alternatively, if you don't have a personal experience with a disability, think about what it might be like to be limited in what you can do, or how you can do it. How would you express that?
Online Writing Submissions
- Essay - no minimum requirement for students in grades 3-4; a minimum of 250 words up to a maximum of 1,000 words is required for all other grade level submissions
- Poem - up to 500 words
- Short Story - up to 2,500 words
- Key your entry directly in the online form
- Copy and paste your submission from Word into the entry box on the online form making sure there is no name or identifying information included
- Scan and attach your entry as a pdf document
Online Picture Submissions
- One-dimensional photo, drawing, or painting, maximum size of 18" x 24"
- We cannot accept 3-D art
- Save and submit your original digital photo as a jpg
- Scan your picture/visual art, save as jpg or pdf attachment at highest possible resolution, and submit online
- Submit a digital photo of your drawing or painting of it is too large to be scanned (maximum size, 18" X 24")
Requirements for paper submissions include:
- Writing entries that are submitted in paper form must be typed or legibly printed on 8 ½ x 11 white lined paper.
- An individual entry form, typed or legibly printed, must accompany each paper submission (whether writing or picture). If the entry form is not legible, the contest administrator reserves the right to reject the submission.
- No name or other identifying information should be included on the paper submission itself (whether writing or picture).
- All paper submissions (whether writing or picture) must adhere to all other entry requirements.
Note For All Submissions
Contestant’s name is to be included on entry form only. No name or other identifying information should be included on the submission itself (whether writing or picture). So as to retain the anonymity of the submission for purposes of judging, any submission having a name or identifying information will not be considered.
Deadline for Entries is Friday, March 3, 2017
- All online entries must be submitted no later than midnight, Friday, March 3, 2017.
- All paper entries must be postmarked no later than Friday, March 3, 2017.
*No entries will be returned so be sure to keep a copy for yourself.
All entries become the property of UCP Central PA. The act of submitting an entry in the UCP/SchmidtKramer Expressions Contest grants permission for your entry to be publicized by UCP Central PA and by the law firm of SchmidtKramer, independent of whether it is judged to be a winning submission. You further grant permission for both parties to publish the winners’ names and photographs on their respective websites and to be used in future marketing and publicity efforts, both print and electronic.